Dr. Lionel Sebbag graduated from the National Veterinary School of Toulouse (France) in 2011. After graduation, he completed an Internship in small animal medicine and surgery at Kansas State University, followed by a four-year Residency in Comparative Ophthalmology at the University of California-Davis. He has joined Iowa State University in 2016 as an Assistant Professor in Ophthalmology. Dr Sebbag’s professional interests include tear film pharmacokinetics and metabolomics, dry eye disease and identification of biomarkers. He enjoys spending time with his wife, two cats and two dogs. He also enjoys playing sports (tennis, basketball, soccer), listening to music and playing the guitar.
- Sebbag L, McDowell EM, Hepner PM, Mochel JP. Effect of tear collection on lacrimal total protein content in dogs and cats: a comparison between Schirmer strips and ophthalmic sponges. BMC Vet Res. 2018, 14(1):61.
- Sebbag L, Allbaugh RA, Strong TD, Strauss RA, Wehrman RF, Foote BC, Peterson C, Ben-Shlomo B. Lack of effect of a topical regenerative agent on re-epithelialization rate of canine spontaneous chronic corneal epithelial defects: A randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled study. Vet J. 2018, 233:63-65.
- Sebbag L, Pesavento PA, Carrasco SE, Reilly CM, Maggs DJ. Feline dry eye syndrome of presumed neurogenic origin: a case report. JFMS Open Reports. 2018 Jan 2; 4(1):2055116917746786.
- Sebbag L, Harrington DM, Mochel JP. Tear fluid collection in dogs and cats using ophthalmic sponges. Vet Ophthalmol. 2017 Aug 27.
- Sebbag L, Park SA, Kass PH, et al. Assessment of tear film osmolarity using the TearLab™ osmometer in normal dogs and dogs with keratoconjunctivitis sicca. Vet Ophthalmol. 2016 Oct 20.
- Sebbag L, Reilly CM, Eid R, Maggs DJ. Goblet cell density and distribution in cats with clinically and histologically normal conjunctiva. Vet Ophthalmol. 2016 Jul;19 Suppl 1:38-43.
- Sebbag L, Thomasy SM, Woodward AP, Knych HK, Maggs DJ. Pharmacokinetic modeling of penciclovir and BRL42359 in the plasma and tears of healthy cats to optimize dosage recommendations for oral administration of famciclovir. Am J Vet Res. 2016 Aug;77(8):833-45.
- Sebbag L, Kass PH, Maggs DJ. Reference values, intertest correlations, and test-retest repeatability of selected tear film tests in healthy cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2015 Feb 15;246(4):426-35.
- Sebbag L, Harkin KR, Habekost A, Gumber S, Lee T. Abdominal chronic expanding hematoma causing iron-deficiency anemia in a dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2014 Sep-Oct;50(5):350-5.
- Sebbag L, Smee N, van der Merwe D, Schmid D. Liver failure in a dog following suspected ingestion of blue-green algae (Microcystis spp.): a case report and review of the toxin. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2013 Sep-Oct;49(5):342-6.
- Rankin AJ, Sebbag L, Bello NM, Crumley WR, Allbaugh RA. Effects of oral administration of anti-inflammatory medications on inhibition of paracentesis-induced blood-aqueous barrier breakdown in clinically normal cats. Am J Vet Res. 2013 Feb;74(2):262-7.
- Van der Merwe D, Sebbag L, Nietfeld JC, Aubel MT, Foss A, Carney E. Investigation of a Microcystis aeruginosa cyanobacterial freshwater harmful algal bloom